Тӯчерҳои Дир кӣ буданд?

Тӯчерҳои Дир кӣ буданд?


We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

Тақрибан 20 сол пеш ман як мақоларо дар як нашрияи даврӣ хонда будам (кадом нашрияи давриро дар ёд надорад) дар бораи қабилаи бумиён (ман фикр мекунам онҳо Амрикои Шимолӣ буданд), ки дорои анъанаи расидан ба охуи зинда. Онҳо ба камарбанд афтода, ҷасадҳояшонро аз оташ хокистар мекунанд, то бӯи худро ниқоб кунанд, алаф ва навдаҳоро дар мӯйҳояшон часпонанд ва сипас хеле оромона ва оҳиста роҳ раванд (~ 80 сония дар як қадам) то охӯра. Санҷиш ин буд, ки оё онҳо метавонанд ба оҳу наздик шуда, ба онҳо аҳамият надиҳанд ё мавҷудияти зинда будани худро сабти ном кунанд ва мӯйро аз думҳояшон канда, ҳамчун далели муваффақияти худ кунанд. Баъзе усулҳо истифода мешуданд, ки мисли буттае амал кунанд, ки дар вазиши шамол меҷунбид, баъзе мардон мӯйҳои худро ба даст дароз карда, мисли шохаҳо мегузоштанд, то ангуштони онҳо аз курку оҳу шона кунанд, зеро он бехабар аз ҳузури онҳо гузашт ва думро тез канда партофт. мӯй дар сонияи охир.

Ман кӯшиш мекунам, ки ин қабилаи одамонро аз нав кашф кунам, аммо то ҳол дар ҷустуҷӯи онҳо барор нагирифтаам. Оё касе медонад, ки онҳо кӣ буданд?


"Марде, ки ба оҳу даст мерасонад", аз ҷониби Билл Ҳивӣ, Филд ва Стрим, октябри 2000, саҳ. 44.

Ин мақола як мусоҳибаи муаллифи табиатшинос Том Браун аст, ки иддао дорад, ки ӯро дар кӯдакӣ як разведкачии Липан Апаче таълим додааст.


Таърихи Whitetail Deer

Олимон боварӣ доранд, ки охуи як вақтҳо дар минтақаҳои сарду хунук дар гирду атрофи Арктика зиндагӣ мекард. То он даме, ки тақрибан 4 миллион сол пеш буд, ки аввалин охуи ба он ҷое, ки ҳоло мо онро Иёлоти Муттаҳида меномем, муҳоҷират накардааст.

Дирҳо қисми ҷудонашавандаи зиндагии мардуми бумии Амрико буданд. Гӯшт ва мағзи устухон қисми зиёди парҳези онҳоро ташкил медоданд. Ҳиндуҳо пӯстро барои либос, қолин, кӯрпа, торҳои моҳӣ ва амсоли инҳо истифода мебурданд. Онҳо аз устухонҳо тири камон, чӯбдаст, қалмоқҳои моҳӣ ва асбобҳо сохтанд.

Аввалин сокинони Амрико бо ҳайвоноти гуногун, аз қабили мурғи марҷон ва морбача зиёфат медоданд. Сипас онҳо сафедпӯсти калони Вирҷинияро кашф карданд. Амрикоиҳои бумӣ ба колонизаторон ёд доданд, ки чӣ тавр охурро самаранок истифода баранд, бо истифода аз ҳар пораи гӯшт, пӯст ва устухон.

Бо гузашти вақт, популятсияи оҳу ба тағирот дучор шуданд. Аввалин таназзули калон ба тиҷорати курку марбут буд. Амрикоиҳои бумӣ барои таъмини тиҷорат тақрибан 5 миллион охуи солонаро мекушанд. Дар аввали солҳои 1800 -ум, бинобар коҳиш ёфтани фурӯши курку мӯй ва густариши табиии охуиҳо ба маконҳои нав, аҳолӣ дубора меафзуданд. Аммо, ин афзоиш дер давом накард.

Шикори бозорҳои пурқувват дар охири солҳои 1800 аҳолии сафедпӯстро то 500 000 коҳиш дод ва дар баъзе минтақаҳо пул ва пул пурра нопадид шуд. Дар соли 1900 Санади Lacy, аввалин қонуни федералии ҳайвоноти ваҳшӣ қабул карда шуд. Лэйси қочоқи байнидавлатии гусфанд ва дигар бозии ваҳширо манъ кард ва истисмори сафедпӯстон оҳиста оғоз ёфт. Дар соли 1908, 41 иёлот шӯъбаҳои ҳифзи табиатро таъсис доданд, ки минбаъд ҳифзи оҳуҳоро тақвият медиҳанд.

Депрессияи Бузург барои амрикоиҳо сахт буд. Аммо вақти бум барои сафедпӯстон дар Шарқ, Ҷануб ва Миёнаи Ғарб буд. Ҳангоме ки одамон барои аз даст додани рӯзгор дар шаҳрҳо аз кишвар меомаданд, хоҷагиҳои партофташуда ва хонаҳои алафҳои бегона, хасу нихолҳо сабзиданд. Биологҳо ва варзишгарон дарк карданд, ки муҳити зисти Амрико барои афзоиши шумораи охуиҳо хуб аст. Замоне, ки сокинони ҷангалҳои калон ва ҳамсоя ҳисобида мешуданд, сафедпӯстон то абад ҳамчун ҳайвонҳои “edge ” шинохта мешуданд.

Дар охири солҳои 1950-ум, биолог бо номи Крокфорд системаи тирандозиро барои сайд кардани охуиҳо таҳия намуд. Ин технология дар якҷоягӣ бо ихтирооти оянда ба монанди тӯби туп, дар дубора бомуваффақият ҷамъ овардани тухмиҳои сафед дар саросари Иёлоти Муттаҳида нақши калидӣ бозид.

То соли 1970 шумораи аҳолии сафедпӯст дар 48 иёлати поёнӣ меафзуд. Солҳо боз шикорчиён тирандозии кабрро ҷиноят мешумурданд. Аммо як таҳқиқоти муҳим дар соли 1974 инро тағир дод. Олим М.Л. Деворҳо дарёфтанд, ки идоракунии дарозмуддати галаи гӯсфандони шукуфон бояд ҳосили ҳарду долларро дар бар гирад. Давлатҳо тадриҷан ба амалисозии рӯзҳои “ ва#8221 ва “антлерҳо ’ шурӯъ карданд.

Аҳолии Whitetail дар тӯли солҳои 1980 ва 󈨞s афзоишро идома доданд. Идоракунии устухонҳои устувор як сабаб буд. Ва он гоҳ гардиши канори шаҳр ба амал омад. Дар бисёр минтақаҳо шумораи бештари одамон дар деҳот як вақтҳо хонаҳои якҳуҷрагӣ сохта, тахтаи тахтаи “farmettes ” ва мулкҳои хурд месохтанд. Таҳиягарон дар хоҷагиҳо ва ҷангалзорҳо воҳидҳо, майдонҳои голф ва фурӯшгоҳҳои кандакорӣ карданд. Аҷиб аст, ки ин рахи идеалӣ ва макони ҷайбро барои сафедпӯсти мутобиқшаванда офаридааст, ки дорои малакаи аҷиби зиндагии ҳамроҳи одам аст. Ин тамоюл дар ҳазорсолаи нав идома меёбад ва он манфӣ нест. Шумораи афзояндаи буттаҳо, дарахтони мевадиҳанда ва зироатҳо, ки ҳамасола дар Ғарби Миёна, Шимолу Шарқӣ ва Ҷанубу Шарқӣ садҳо миллион доллар зарар мебинанд. Бархӯрди мошинҳо бо мошинҳо дар бисёр иёлотҳо афзоиш меёбад.

Имрӯз, сафедпӯст, Odocoileus virginianus, охуи маъмултарин дар ҷаҳон аст. Олимон 30 зернамуди сафедпӯстро дар Амрикои Шимолӣ ва Марказӣ ва ҳашт нафари дигарро дар Амрикои Ҷанубӣ эътироф мекунанд. Аҳолии сафедпӯсти Амрикои Шимолӣ 20-25 миллион ҳайвонот арзёбӣ мешавад. The whitetail то ба имрӯз машҳуртарин бозӣ дар ИМА аст, ки ҳар як тирамоҳ онро тақрибан 11 миллион шикорчиён таъқиб мекунанд.


Таърихи Ҷон Дир - Аз шудгори аввал то тракторҳои хоҷагӣ

Трактори John Deere яке аз нишонаҳои пойдортарини ҳаёти хоҷагиҳои амрикоӣ мебошад. Ширкати истеҳсоли тракторҳои John Deere соли 1837 таъсис ёфтааст ва достони таъсисёбии он бо рушди плуги пӯлод сахт алоқаманд аст. Хоҳиши Deere ’s такмил додани тарҳи плуги нокомилро ба вуҷуд овард, ки он дар тӯли 177 сол як ширкати пешбари трактор дар ҷаҳон шуд, ки имрӯз бо номи Дир маъруф аст.

Ҳикояи асосгузори ширкат ба соли 1804 замоне рост меояд, ки Ҷон Дир дар Рутланд, Вермонт таваллуд шудааст. Вай дар синни 17 -солагӣ ба сифати шогирди оҳангарӣ ба кор оғоз кард ва дар тӯли чор сол тиҷорати оҳангарии худро таъсис дод. Кори Deere аз сохтани хошок, наъл ва дигар асбобҳои зарурӣ барои кишоварзӣ иборат буд. Табиати тиҷорати интихобкардаи ӯ дар якҷоягӣ бо иқлими иқтисодии маҳаллӣ барои Дире аз шаҳр ба шаҳр кӯчиданро зарур сохт. Дар синни 33 -солагӣ ӯ тасмим гирифт ба самти ғарб ҳаракат кунад ва дар Гранд Детрури Иллинойс истироҳат кунад.

Бисёре аз корҳои John Deere бо такрори таъмири оҳанҳои чуянӣ ва плугҳои чӯбӣ машғул буданд ва ба ӯ исбот карданд, ки ин тарҳҳои шудгор барои буридани чоҳ ва хоки вазнини Иллинойс чандон қавӣ набуданд. Дир тағироти худро ба тариқи худ тағир дода, аз теғи коркарди пӯлоди пӯлоди шудгор як пӯлоди пӯлоди сабук сохтааст. Плуги офаридаи ӯ соддаи сахти шимолу ғарбро ба таври муассир бурид ва худсӯзӣ мекард, яъне он метавонад аз соддаи бурида тоза шавад, бинобарин ҳангоми кор пайваста тоза кардан лозим нест. То соли 1838 ӯ се плуги худро ба деҳқонони маҳаллӣ сохта, фурӯхт, 10 дар соли дигар ва 40 сол пас аз он. Дир бо Леонард Андрус шарик буд ва то соли 1846 онҳо дар маҷмӯъ тавонистанд қариб 1000 плуг созанд.

То соли 1847 Дир ҳис мекард, ки тиҷорат дар Молин, Иллинойс, воқеъ дар дарёи Миссисипи беҳтар хоҳад буд. Интиқоли моли ӯ тавассути дарё осонтар ва камхарҷтар хоҳад буд. Ӯ як қисми дӯкони оҳангариро ба шарики худ фурӯхт ва ба Молин кӯчид. То соли 1850 Дир дар як сол 1600 плуг ва инчунин асбобҳои иловагиро барои ҳамроҳии шудгорҳои пӯлод истеҳсол мекард. Он вақт плуги пӯлоди Ҷон Дир асбоби муосири кишоварзӣ ба ҳисоб мерафт. Маводи истифодашуда ва шакли шудгор инқилобӣ буданд ва пайваста дар таҳаввулот буданд, зеро Дир фикру мулоҳизаҳои муштариёнашро гӯш мекард ва тарҳро мувофиқи он танзим мекард.

Соли 1875 Ҷон Дир аввалин плуги саворашонро муаррифӣ кард. Ин плуги ду чархдори аспи пуриқтидори Гилпин буд. Дар соли 1888 плугҳои бухор истеҳсол мешуданд ва дар соли 1892 ихтироъкори дигар Ҷон Фролич аз Айова аввалин ду трактори бензиндорро фурӯхт. Ин ва бисёр дигар тарҳҳои аввали тракторҳои бензиндор дар Айова оғоз ёфта буданд, аммо ин ширкати Ҷон Дир дар Иллинойс буд, ки аз қуттӣ баромад, то пешсафи техникаи кишоварзӣ шавад.

Дар соли 1971 шиори “Ҳеҷ чиз мисли даре кор намекунад ” бо мақсади пешбурди хати нави мошинҳои барфии худ ҷорӣ карда шуд. То соли 1983 хатти мошини барфӣ ба охир расид, аммо шиор боқӣ монд.

Яке аз аввалин шудгорҳои пӯлоди Deere ’ ҳоло дар Институти Смитсониан ҷойгир аст.


Бозгашти Духтари сафедпӯст

Як ақидаи умумӣ вуҷуд дорад, ки ҳифзи олами ҳайвонот як пешниҳоди зиёновар буд. Нобудшавии рамаҳои буфало, сарнавишти кабӯтари мусофирон ба ҳама маълум аст. Дар замони худамон мо мебинем, ки крани абрнок ва кондои Калифорния дар остонаи нобудшавӣ қарор дорад. Аммо ҳифзи олами ҳайвонот аз муваффақиятҳо холӣ нест. Ва ҳеҷ кас аз барқарорсозии охуи сафедпӯсти Вирҷиния дар ҷангалҳои Шарқ ва Ғарби Миёна аҷибтар набуд.

Дар ибтидо, тақрибан сӣ навъи (зернамуди) охуи сафедпӯст Амрикои Шимолиро ишғол карданд. Аксари онҳо дар канори ҷангали калони дарахти шарқӣ зиндагӣ мекарданд, ки аз соҳили Атлантик то водии Миссисипи расиданд. Ғарби ҷангалҳо охуи хачир ва булғор бартарӣ доштанд, гарчанде ки баъзе сафедпӯстон дар доманакӯҳҳо дар қаъри дарёҳои Пойгоҳи Бузург сайр мекарданд. Whitail Sonoran каме дар доманакӯҳҳои биёбони бузурги ҷанубу ғарбӣ истиқомат мекард ва дараҳои фаровонии маҳаллии зернамудҳои дигар дар шимоли Роксиҳо ва шимолу ғарби Уқёнуси Ором пайдо шуданд. Шимоли хате, ки тақрибан аз Миннеаполис то Портланд, Мейн мегузарад, ҷангалҳои зиччи арча, арча ва санавбар барои охуиҳо ғизои кам медиҳанд.

Whiteail дар ҷазираҳо ва гирду атрофи ботлоқҳои соҳилҳои Атлантика ва Халиҷи Форс ва дар доманакӯҳҳо ва алафзорҳое, ки дарахтони шарқӣ ва Даштҳои Бузургро ҷудо мекарданд, ба фаровонии бештар ноил шуд. Он ҳеҷ гоҳ ба чӯби бокираи кӯҳистон ворид нашудааст, ки дар он тоҷҳо ва дасту пояҳои дарахтони азим ҷилавгирифта заминро соя карда, рушди эҳтиёҷоти охуи боғро ба ғизо тафтиш мекунанд. Аммо ҳатто дар баландкӯҳҳо баъзан танаффус дар соябони ҷангал ба афзоиши хӯроки охуи ва мавҷудияти охуи иҷозат медод. Соҳилҳои кӯл ва соҳилҳои дарёҳо дарахтони зериобиро дастгирӣ мекарданд. Биверҳо, ки дар ҳама ҷараёнҳои шарқӣ маъмуланд, ба охӯён тавассути буридани ва обхезӣ кумак мекарданд. Тӯфонҳо ва гирдбодҳо қитъаҳоро буриданд, ки дере нагузашта онҳо бо ниҳолҳо, буттаҳо ва токҳо дар байни шамолҳои печида печида буданд.

Аксарияти ҳиндуҳои шарқӣ як мавҷудияти нимкӯчманчиро роҳбарӣ мекарданд, ки ҳар чанд сол дар зери фишори ҳамлаи душман ё аз сабаби фарсуда шудани майдонҳои зироат ҳаракат мекарданд. Ҳама қабилаҳои ҷангалзор оташро ба таври васеъ истифода мебурданд - барои тоза кардани чоҳҳо ва хонаҳои боғ, кам кардани ҳамлаи ногаҳонӣ, рондани бозӣ ё беҳтар кардани шикор. Заминҳои сӯхта аксари деҳаҳои Ҳиндустонро бо милҳо иҳота карданд ва ҳар замине, ки партофташуда ё ба таври интенсивӣ коркард нашудааст, ба зудӣ бо ғизои беҳтарин ва сарпӯши оҳу аз нав сабзонида шуд. Дар ҳақиқат, ҳиндуҳо эҳтимолан ба офаридани оҳуи зиёдтар аз куштааш кумак кардаанд.

Ин бештари достони оҳуи шарқӣ то асри XVII буд. Он вақт чанд нафар буданд, касе намедонад. Аммо намунаи тадқиқот ва ҳисоббарории сафед эҳтимол дар бораи фаровонӣ тасаввуроти гумроҳкунандае мебахшид. Колонизатсия дар пастиҳои соҳилӣ, ба монанди Ҷеймстаун ё дар заминҳои партофташудаи Ҳиндустон, ба монанди Плимут оғоз ёфт ва таҳқиқи корҳои дохилӣ одатан тавассути баъзе аз беҳтарин маконҳои охуи Шарқ аз паси дарёҳо мерафт.

Кишоварзии колония як василаи усулҳои Ҳиндустон буд, зеро марди сафед низ барои тоза кардани замин аз оташ истифода мебурд. Аммо кишоварзии колонияӣ хеле васеътар буд ва кам ба марди сафед иҷозат медод, ки замин ба ҷангал баргардад. Заминҳои тозашуда, ки барои маҳалҳои нави аҳолинишин истифода намешаванд, барои нигоҳдории алафзорҳо борҳо сӯзонида мешуданд. Афзоиши саршумори чорвои калони шохдор, гӯсфандон, аспҳо, бузҳо ва хукҳо асосан дар майдони кушод парвариш карда мешуданд ва дар ҳар ҷое, ки доираи охуи мувофиқ инкишоф меёбад, бо охуиҳо рақобат мекарданд. Чанде пас аз Инқилоб қисми зиёди ҷангалҳои бокира дар шарқи Аппалачиён бурида шуданд ва заминҳо сӯхтанд - дар бисёр ҳолатҳо, на як бор, балки даҳҳо маротиба.

Бо вуҷуди ин, сарфи назар аз чунин вайроншавии зисти онҳо, охуиҳо идома доданд. Дар байни шаҳрҳои васеи фосилавӣ заминҳое буданд, ки дар он ҷо фурӯзон кардани сабук ва чӯббандӣ масоҳати онҳоро беҳтар мекард. Морасҳо буданд, ба монанди ботлоқи нопадидшудаи Вирҷиния, ки нобудшавии оташ ва дренажро рад карданд. Дараҳои санглох ва кӯҳҳо барои зироаткорӣ ё чарогоҳ хеле ноҳамвор буданд. Ҳамаи ин оҳуи паноҳгоҳ. Аммо онҳо инчунин барои гурги пуго ва чӯб, душманони анъанавии табиии сафед паноҳгоҳҳо доданд. Ва онҳо дере нагузашта макони он даррандаи ҳатто марговар - шикори гӯшт ва бозор шуданд.

Гӯшти гов ва пӯст бо аввалин фурудгоҳҳо дар Сент -Августин, Ҷеймстаун ва Плимут ҷузъҳои асосии иқтисодиёти колония шуданд. Пас аз он ки ҳиндӣ фаҳмид, ки харидани гӯшти гӯсфанд ба маблағи як ҳавлӣ калтак ё табари савдо аст, вай ҳар ҷое ки дучор ояд, домро ба дом меандохт, дом меандохт ва мепарронд. То соли 1630 бисёр қабилаҳои соҳилӣ ба силоҳи оташфишонии Аврупо дастрасӣ пайдо карданд ва як шикорчии ҳиндӣ бо таппонча метавонад дар як рӯз панҷ ё шаш охуи бикушад.

Дир дар тӯли асри XVII дар соҳили баҳри Атлантика зуд коҳиш ёфт. 4 феврали соли 1646, шаҳри Портсмут, Род -Айленд, "аз якуми май то якуми ноябр мавсими пӯшида барои шикори охуи фармон дод ва агар касе дар ин муддат як маргро парронад, ӯ панҷ фунт аз даст медиҳад ..." фармон намунаи қонунҳое буд, ки аксари колонияҳо то соли 1720 қабул кардаанд.

Муқаддимаи қонуни Коннектикут нигаронии расмиро дар бораи ояндаи охуи инъикос мекард: Қатли охуи дар мавсимҳои номусоиди солона хеле пеш аз қабл аз Колони ёфт шуда буд, ки шумораи зиёди онҳо дар барфҳои сахт шикор ва нобуд карда шуда буданд. вақте ки онҳо бо ҷавонон хеле камбизоат ва калон ҳастанд, гӯшт ва пӯстҳо хеле кам арзиш доранд ва афзоиши онҳо хеле монеъ шуд.

Ва дар соли 1705 Ассамблеяи Генералӣ дар Нюпорт, Род -Айленд қайд кард, ки ба ӯ хабар дода шудааст, ки миқдори зиёди охуиҳо дар ин Колония дар мавсим нобуд карда шудаанд ... ва метавонад зарари ин Колонияро барои оянда исбот кунад ва… тамоми мамлакат, агар пешгирй карда нашавад.

Эътиқодҳои пароканда вуҷуд доштанд, аммо ҳеҷ яке аз ин қонунҳои мустамликавӣ амалан иҷро намешуданд ва дар миёнаҳои асри XVIII кам оҳуе боқӣ монд, ки дар наздикии ҷамоатҳои калонтар муҳофизат кунанд. Деҳқонони сарҳадӣ то ҳол дар замин зиндагӣ мекарданд ва гӯшти гови худро вақте ки мехостанд, мегирифтанд. Дар канори биёбони ақибнишинон шикорчиёни бозори Ҳиндустон ва сафедпӯстон ҳанӯз ҳам дар ҳама фаслҳо, дар масофаи дур аз дастрасии “охуи қарибӣ”, чӯбҳоро барои бозӣ шона мекарданд, афсаре, ки барои таъқиби браконьерҳо таъин шуда буд.

Пас аз Инқилоб, дар баробари водиҳои Огайо, Вабаш, Камберленд ва Миссисипи ва дар соҳилҳои ҷанубии Кӯлҳои Бузург, нобудшавии биёбон дар миқёси бузург идома ёфт. Ва то ин вақт шикорчиёни бозор, ки то ҳол дар ванти тамаддун фаъолият мекарданд, ба канораҳои доманакӯҳ, ки қисми сермаҳсултарини диапазони сафедпӯстон буданд, расида буданд. Шабакаи паҳншудаи каналҳо, роҳҳо ва роҳи оҳан онҳоро дар наздикии бозорҳои Шарқ нигоҳ медошт. Дар як рӯзи якшанбеи соли 1818 як гурӯҳи шикорчиён дар шаҳраки Мадинаи Огайо сесад оҳу, бисту як хирси сиёҳ ва ҳабдаҳ гургро куштанд. (Ба ҳисоби миёна ин тақрибан дувоздаҳ охуи дар як километри мураббаъ буд.) Дар зимистони соли 1859 шикоркунандагони гӯшти охирин охуи аслии Айоваро бо баровардани барфи сахт куштанд. Чунин кушторҳо дар саросари Ғарби Миёна мунтазам сурат мегирифтанд, то он даме, ки оҳу ба миқдори кофӣ барои кафолат додани саъй пайдо шавад.

Бо кушодани Ғарб, маркази фаъолияти шикори бозор ба Даштҳои Бузург ва Кӯҳҳои Рокӣ гузашт. Дар он ҷо бештари борро бизон, шохдор, булғор, охуи хачир ва гӯсфандони буздор ба дӯш мегирифтанд. Аммо дар доираи қитъаҳои осебпазири қитъаҳои зериобии кӯҳҳо дар қуттиҳои қаторҳои вагонҳо, патрулҳои савора ва ҳайати киштиҳои дарёӣ ба охир расид.

Дар Англияи Нав ва иёлатҳое, ки бо Кӯлҳои Бузург ҳамсарҳаданд, тоза кардани замин ва шикори гӯшт аксари оҳуҳоро дар ҳудуди аслии худ нест кардаанд. Аммо буридани дарахтони сӯзанбаргҳои шимолӣ дар шимол як қатор нав ва беҳтарро ба вуҷуд овард. То соли 1870 охуи дар музофотҳои шимолии Миннесота, Мичиган, Висконсин, Ню Ҳемпшир ва Мейн маъмул гашт, ки дар он ҷо панҷоҳ сол пеш кам ё тамоман буданд. Аммо барои охуиҳо буридани сӯзанбаргҳо баракати омехта буд. Ҳар як лагерҳои чӯбкорӣ шикорчиёнро барои таъмин кардани гӯшти тару тоза барои чӯбкорон кор мекарданд. Ва шикорчиёни бозор, ки то ин замон охуи дуртар аз ҷанубро нобуд карда буданд, ба қаторкӯҳи навбунёд омаданд.

Бо истифода аз сагҳо, таппончаҳо, домҳои пӯлод ва домҳои сим, шикорчии моҳир метавонад ба ҳисоби миёна даҳ охуи дар як рӯз дошта бошад. Дар моҳи декабри соли 1872, Литчфилд, Миннесота, шаш тонна гӯшти гови либосдорро ба бозорҳои Бостон фиристод. Дар соли 1880 офисҳои боркашонӣ дар Мичиган танҳо зиёда аз сад ҳазор охуи ба Чикаго ва Шарқ равонашударо коркард мекарданд.

Ин куштори мустақим ба қадри кофӣ бад буд, аммо сӯхторҳое, ки пас аз буридан дар ҷангалҳои санавбарҳои шимолӣ дар атрофи Кӯлҳои бузург бадтар буданд. Дар пайи буридани чӯб, буриши хушки пур аз қатрон-дарахтон ва дасту пойҳои партофташуда-садҳо ҳазор гектарро фаро гирифта, мунтазири танҳо шарорае барои сӯхтани он буданд. Яке аз шарораҳои аввал 8 октябри соли 1871 дар соҳилҳои болои кӯҳҳои Пештигои Висконсин бархӯрд. Пеш аз он ки оташ худаш сӯхт, он беш аз 1,280,000 хекторро хароб кард ва ҷони тақрибан дувоздаҳ нафарро аз байн бурд. Шамол оташ месозад ", дар мероси АМЕРИКА, августи 1956). Оташҳо то охири аср такрор ба такрор кишвари шимолро фаро гирифта, қариб ҳама мавҷудоти дар роҳҳояшон бударо, аз ҷумла оҳуёнро куштанд ва миллионҳо гектарро ба биёбонҳои алафҳои бегона мубаддал карданд, ки дар он ҳеҷ охуи зинда монда наметавонист.

То соли 1880 олимон ва чанд пешрави табиатшиносон ба ояндаи охуи сафедпӯст ҳамчун як навъ изҳори нигаронӣ мекарданд. Пас аз даҳ сол аҳолии оҳу дар Амрикои Шимолӣ ба қаъри санг расид. Аппалачиён ва аксари кишварҳо дар ғарб то Роккия амалан бе оҳу буданд. Род Айленд, Коннектикут, Мэриленд, Вирҷинияи Ғарбӣ, Ню Ҷерсӣ, Огайо, Кентукки, Теннесси, Индиана, Иллинойс, Айова, Канзас, Миссури ва Небраска ҳама рамаҳои сафедпӯсти худро дар наздикии сифр ҳисоб мекарданд. "Охирин охуи" дар Индиана соли 1893 дар наздикии Абри Сурх парронда шуд. Мэни Ҷанубӣ ва ҷануби Ню Ҳемпшир ҳеҷ надошт.

Танҳо қисматҳои биёбони Адирондакҳо, кӯҳҳои Арканзас, ботлоқҳои дурдасти соҳили ҷанубӣ ва соҳили халиҷи Форс ба охуиҳо паноҳгоҳ доданд. Т.С.Палмер аз Тадқиқоти Биологии ИМА (пеш аз Хадамоти моҳӣ ва ҳайвоноти ваҳшии ИМА) шумораи аҳолини ваҳшии сафедпӯсти Иёлоти Муттаҳида ва Канадаро дар соли 1890 тақрибан сесад ҳазор арзёбӣ кардааст. Агентии ӯ барои ташвиқи одамон ба парвариши охуи дар асирӣ саъю кӯшиши зиёд сарф кард, зеро ояндаи сафедпӯст ба назарашон бо онҳое, ки дар боғҳои девори деворбаста нигоҳ дошта мешаванд, мемонад.

Аммо ҳатто вақте ки таназзул идома ёфт, тухми барқарорсозӣ ба сабзидан оғоз карда буд. Дар шимоли Англияи Нав ва музофотҳои баҳрӣ ҷангалзорҳои аслии сӯзанбаргро ба ҷангалҳои ҷавони омехтаи дарахти баргҳои барге табдил медиҳанд, ки барои охуи хеле мувофиқанд. Хокҳои санглох ва иқлими номусоид ҳар гуна ҳуҷуми азими кишоварзиро пешгирӣ мекард. То соли 1890 оҳу дар саросари шимоли Мэн ва Ню Ҳемпшир ва дар умқи Ню Брансуик ва Квебек, дар шимоли масофаи аслии худ паҳн шуд. Дар ин минтақа гург, ягона охуи даррандаи шимол, ки дар дами нобудӣ меистод.

Дар шарқи Аппалачиён асри саноатӣ услубҳои истифодаи заминро ба куллӣ тағйир дод. Ҳазорон деҳқонони канормонда, ки бо кишоварзии шукуфони Ғарб рақобат карда наметавонистанд, хоҷагиҳои фарсудаи худро партофта, дар шаҳр ба кор даромаданд ё ба ғарб рафтанд. Дар минтақаи Пиемонти Ҷанубӣ кирми барг, хотима ёфтани ғуломӣ ва рақобат бо бозорҳои хориҷӣ маҷбур шуд, ки ҳазорҳо майдонҳои пахта партофта шаванд. Дере нагузашта замини биёбонро санавбарҳои зудгузар ва босуръат ишғол карданд. То соли 1885 дар шарқи Иёлоти Муттаҳида миллионҳо акр ҷангалҳои санавбарҳои "кӯҳнаи саҳроӣ" мавҷуданд. Танҳо санавбар озуқаи оҳуи камбизоат аст ва ин ҷангалҳои нав каме охуиҳоро дастгирӣ мекарданд, аммо камол ёфтани санавбарҳо ба Шарқ авҷи нави дарахтбурриро овард, ки то соли 1890 дар авҷ буд. , ҷангали дарахти сӯзанбарги омехта, ки доираи беҳтарин охуиҳоро месозад.

Ҳамзамон бо бозгашти ин макони умдатан охуи охуиҳо рушди ҳаракати муосири ҳифзи табиат буд. Бори аввал зиёда аз чанд нафар арзишҳоро дар олами ҳайвоноти ваҳшӣ эътироф карданд, ба истиснои арзишҳои гӯшт, пӯст ва парҳо. Дар қисми зиёди ин консепсия, то ҳадде номувофиқ, аз шикорчиёни варзиш дар шаҳрҳои шарқӣ ба вуҷуд омадааст. То соли 1830 пайгирии бозӣ барои варзиш пеш аз ҳама сарватмандон буд. Аммо давраи пас аз ҷанги шаҳрвандӣ як табақаи нави миёна бо пул, фароғат ва аксар вақт хоҳиши фирор аз зиндагии шаҳриро ба вуҷуд овард. Лагерҳо ва меҳмонхонаҳои сайёҳӣ дар соҳили кӯлҳо ва дарёҳои биёбон гул карданд. Аксари ин осоишгоҳҳо, дар қатори дигар намудҳои берунӣ, шикори аълои охуиҳоро пешниҳод мекарданд.

Вақте ки таваҷҷӯҳ ба шикори фароғатӣ паҳн шуд, табиатшиносони пешрав роҳҳои зиёд кардани таъминоти маҳдуди охуиҳоро меҷустанд. Қонунҳои бозӣ аз замони колония каме тағйир ёфта буданд. Ҳанӯз соли 1870 мавсими шикори оҳу аз се то ҳафт моҳ давом мекард, ҳудуди халтаҳо вуҷуд надошт ва истифодаи сагҳо, алангагирӣ барои шикори шабона ва лесаҳои намак таҷрибаҳои варзишӣ пазируфта шуда буданд.

Оҳиста -оҳиста як давлат паси дигар қонунҳои бозиашро сахттар кард. Соли 1873 Мэн аввалин маҳдудияти халтаҳоро барои охуи қабул кард - се барои ҳар як шикорчӣ дар як мавсим. Мичиган ва Миннесота дар соли 1895 ҳудуди панҷ оҳу ва Висконсин маҳдудияти ду охуи соли 1897-ро ҷорӣ карданд. Ҳафтаҳо ва ҳатто моҳҳо мавсими шикори равғанро кашиданд ва аксарияти иёлотҳо шикори охуиҳоро дар шаҳрҳое, ки дар 18g8 Массачусетс кам буданд, манъ карданд. тамоми штат ба шикори охуи ба мухлати панч сол. То оғози аср ҳар иёлот дар шимоли Вирҷиния ва Арканзас тирандозии шабона ва истифодаи сагҳоро барои шикори охуи манъ кард. Гузашта аз ин, қариб дар ҳама иёлотҳо як оҷонси расмӣ буд, ки ба ҳифзи паррандаҳои ваҳшӣ бовар карда буд.

Бисёре аз ин ислоҳот бевосита ба шикорчии бозор нигаронида шуда буданд, ки аҳамияти он дар иқтисод якбора коҳиш ёфта буд. Аксари онҳо аз ҷониби варзишгароне, ки иттиҳодияҳои муҳофизати моҳӣ ва бози аз ҷиҳати сиёсӣ қавӣ ташкил карда буданд, оғоз ва мубориза бурданд. Шикори бозор дар ниҳоят бо як қонуни федералӣ (Санади Лэйси соли 1900) маҷбур шуд, ки интиқоли байнидавлатии бозиро, ки бар хилофи қонунҳои иёлот кушта шудааст, манъ кунад.

Дар охири аср ҳам охуиҳо ва ҳам макони зисти онҳо бори аввал ҳифзи воқеӣ гирифтанд. Душманони кӯҳнаи табиии онҳо қариб аз байн рафтанд. Одамон ба ҷои гузоштани онҳо ва сӯхтани онҳоро тамошо карда, бо сӯхторҳои ҷангал мубориза мебурданд. Шифер ва агентиҳои федералии хоҷагии ҷангал сӯхтаҳои кӯҳнаро дубора кишт мекарданд. Сарпӯш ба замин бармегардад.

Вокуниши оҳу ба ин шароити қариб идеалӣ, хусусан дар шимолу шарқ, таркишовар буд. Аз ҷазираҳои сарпӯш, ки онҳо қариб як аср ба таври ноустувор наҷот ёфтанд, охуиҳо ба ҳама тараф тела дода шуданд. Онҳое, ки дар шимоли Ню Англияи Ҷанубӣ ба музофотҳои кишоварзӣ паҳн шудаанд. Оҳу дар ҷанубу шарқи Массачусетс ба музофотҳои марказӣ ва ҷануб ба Род -Айленд ва Коннектикут парвоз мекард. Оҳуи Адирондак дар Катскиллс, ғарби Вермонт ва Беркширҳои Массачусетс маъмул буд. То соли 1908 Эрнест Томпсон Селон, маъруфтарин табиатшиноси он рӯз тахмин мезад, ки аҳолии охуи Миссисипи тақрибан панҷсад ҳазор аст.

Ба ин паҳншавӣ ва афзоиши табиии созмонҳои варзишгарон ва агентиҳои давлатии бозии навтаъсис кумак карданд. Дар соли 1878 клуби варзишгарон дар Каунти Рутланд, Вермонт, ҳабдаҳ охуи асирро харида буд (даҳ нафари онҳо аз посбонони зиндони иёлати Ню -Йорк дар Даннемора) ва онҳоро дар ҷангалзорҳое, ки барои шикори давлат баста буданд, раҳо карда буд. То соли 1895 ин ядро ​​то чандсад афзоиш ёфт.

Муваффақияти озмоиши Вермонт якчанд иёлатҳои шарқиро илҳом бахшид, ки равиши ба ин монандро қабул кунанд. Дар Пенсилвания он қариб аз эътиқод муваффақ шуд. Дере нагузашта, 1899 Комиссияи бозикунии Пенсилвания ба харидани оҳу ва дар ҷангалҳои иёлот баровардани онҳо шурӯъ кард. Дар соли 1905 аввалин воҳидҳои системаи васеи паноҳгоҳи охуи ҳайвонот дар ҷангалҳои давлатӣ зинда буданд. Пас аз ду сол, шумораи кофии сафедҳо барои кафолати шикори маҳдуд мавҷуд буданд. Дар соли 1907 шикорчиён дар як иёлот дусад долларро ба бор оварданд, ки камтар аз бист сол пеш оҳуи ваҳшӣ вуҷуд надошт.

Дар миёнаи солҳои 1920 гӯё охуиҳо дар ҳама ҷо дар Пенсилвания буданд. Гӯсфандони чил ё бештар аз он метавонистанд шомгоҳон қариб дар ҳама роҳҳои деҳот шумурда шаванд. Даҳҳо нафарро аз ҳар як чӯб шуста бурдан мумкин буд. Онҳо ба боғҳо, киштзорҳо ва боғҳо ҳуҷум мекарданд. Аробачаҳо дар канори Ҳаррисбург ва Филаделфия зуд -зуд аз бонги тарсида метарсиданд ё аз дидани парчами сафеди сагон ба ҳаяҷон меомаданд.

Ҳубобии бузурги охуи Пенсилвания дере нагузашта пас аз соли 1925 таркид. Биологҳои бозӣ пай бурданд, ки ҳайвонҳое, ки шикорчиён гирифтаанд, қадпаст шуда истодаанд. Рушди шохҳо он қадар бад буд, ки варзишгарон аз дидани то сад оҳу дар як рӯз шикоят мекарданд, аммо на бо шохаи ҷингила, ки онро бозии қонунӣ карда метавонист. Сипас, зимистони талхи соли 1926 охуиҳо ба мурдан сар карданд. Онҳо танҳо, даҳҳо ва баъзан садҳо нафар дар барфпӯшии ҳавлҳои зимистона мурданд. Вернон Бэйли, як мамологи пешбари федералӣ, дар тӯли чанд ҳафта беш аз ҳазор оҳуи мурда дар чаҳор шаҳраки як шаҳристон шумурда шуд.

Ҳукми Бэйли тасдиқ кард, ки аллакай аз ҷониби Комиссияи бозикунии Пенсилвания расидааст - агар иёлот ҷангалҳои худ ва ҳар гуна охуро наҷот диҳад, бояд саршумори саршумори охуиҳо коҳиш дода шавад. Ҳазорҳо охуи гуруснагӣ қаторкӯҳҳои зимистониро аз тамоми наботот то сари одам маҳрум карда буданд.

То он вақт, Пенсилвания, ба монанди аксари иёлотҳое, ки он вақт шикори оҳуҳоро иҷозат медод, ҳар як шикорчиро иҷозат медод, ки ҳар сол танҳо як тана бо ҳадди ақал як шохаи ғайра дошта бошад. Аммо як пул одатан бо якчанд кор ҳамсар мешавад ва аксари хӯшаҳо ва дигар пулҳои зерқонунӣ қодиранд, ки парвариш кунанд. Аз ин сабаб, сарфи назар аз куштори солонаи солона, саршумори охуиҳо дар ду ё се сол дучанд мешуд. Ва ҳар баҳор корҳо садҳо ҳазор саршумор меоварданд, ки барои онҳо ғизои зимистона мавҷуд набуд. Соли 1930 Комиссияи бозикунии Пенсилвания дар муқобили мухолифати шадиди омма мавсими кушодро ба охуи антлкрлес эълон кард. Дар байни солҳои 1931 ва 1941 шикорчиён дар Пенн Вудс беш аз 725,000 охуи кушта шуданд. Ин табобати сахт, вале зарурӣ рамаро аз наздики як миллион то ба ним миллион кам кард. Дар тӯли солҳои баъдӣ, мавсимҳои махсуси танзимшудаи охуи бидуни шохҳо, ки акнун умуман ҳамчун як амалияи стандартии идоракунӣ қабул карда шудаанд, аҳолии охуиҳоро дар ҳудуди оптималии чорсад ҳазор мӯътадил кардаанд.

Дар ҷануб ва дар Ғарби Миёна дар ҷануби Кӯлҳои Бузург, барқароркунии охуи дертар ба амал омад. Аммо ҳамаи иёлатҳои ин минтақаҳо аз техникаи таҳияшуда ва хатогиҳои Пенсилвания, Ню Йорк ва Ню Англия фоида мебинанд. Ҳанӯз дар солҳои 1930 аксарияти иёлотҳои байни Роккиҳо ва Аппалачиён то ҳол нисбатан кам ё тамоман охуи думболи сафед доштанд. Дар ҷануби Потомак дар Аппалачиён, ягона галаи нашъунамо дар ҷангали миллии Писгаҳи Каролинаи Шимолӣ буд. Дар ҷои дигаре дар Аппалачия кӯҳнавардон - қонун ё ягон қонун ҳайвоноти ваҳшии хӯрдашавандаро ҳар вақт бозии одилона меҳисобид.

Дар давраи депрессия аксари ин оилаҳо теппаҳоро тарк карданд. Хоҷагиҳои онҳо ва баъзан тамоми деҳаҳо ба ҷангалҳо ва боғҳои давлатӣ ва миллӣ ғарқ шуданд. Роҳи дигари васеи макони зисти охуи - ҳоло ҳам қариб бе охуи - зуд инкишоф ёфт. Ва бозгашти сарпӯш тасодуфан бо як пешрафти дигари муҳим дар ҳаракати ҳифзи олами ваҳшӣ рост омад.

То соли 1937 амалан ҳама агентиҳои давлатии ваҳшӣ ба истиснои фурӯши иҷозатномаҳои шикор ва моҳидорӣ кам даромад мегирифтанд. Ва аксар вақт мақомоти қонунгузории иёлот қисмҳои зиёди ин маблағро ба сохтмони шоҳроҳҳо ва дигар лоиҳаҳое, ки ба ҳифзи олами ваҳшӣ алоқаманд нестанд, равона кардаанд.

Сипас дар соли 1937 Конгресс Кӯмаки федералии Питтман-Робертсон дар барқарорсозии олами ҳайвонотро қабул кард. Ин қонун андози аксизии 11 дарсадиро барои силоҳҳои варзишӣ ва лавозимоти ҷангӣ барои истифода аз ҷониби давлатҳо дар маблағгузории лоиҳаҳои тасдиқшудаи барқарорсозии ҳайвоноти ваҳшӣ пешбинӣ кардааст. Он инчунин муқаррар кардааст, ки барои гирифтани маблағҳои федералӣ, иёлот бояд тамоми даромади иҷозатномаи шикорро барои идора кардани агентии ҳайвоноти ваҳшии худ татбиқ кунад. Ҳар як давлат зуд иҷро мекард.

Дар Шарқ охуи сафед яке аз аввалин баҳрабарандагони асосӣ буд. Дар муддати хеле кӯтоҳ кӯшишҳои барқарорсозӣ дар як иёлат пас аз дигар натиҷа доданд. Чораҳои хурди сокинон, ки аз рӯзҳои торики iSoo наҷот ёфтаанд, афзоиш ёфтаанд. Трансплантатсияи якчанд ҳайвонот дар тӯли якчанд сол ба ҳазорҳо нафар расид. Ва ҳангоме ки ҷангалзорҳояш бо охуи пур шуданд, як давлат паси ҳам мавсими шикори деринаи худро боз кард. Дар соли 1965, вақте ки Канзас ҳис кард, ки барои кафолати мавсими кушод сафедҳои кофӣ дорад, ҳар як иёлати шарқи Рокки боз ба як давлати "бозии калон" табдил ёфтааст.

Гарчанде ки шикор барои бисёриҳо нохушоянд аст, он дар сурати мавҷуд набудани санҷишҳои аслии табиӣ ба афзоиши саршумори охуиҳо барои беҳбудии оҳу ва ҷангалҳое, ки аз онҳо вобаста аст, муҳим аст. Дар тирамоҳ ва аввали зимистони соли 1968 шикорчиён дар Иёлоти Муттаҳида тақрибан якуним миллион охуи думбали сафедро ба хона оварданд, ки ҳамагӣ панҷоҳ сол пеш дар тамоми Амрикои Шимолӣ вуҷуд дошт! Аммо ин камтар аз панҷяки аҳолии сафедпӯсти тобистон буд.

Дар ҳоле ки қариб ҳама навъҳои мувофиқ дар Амрико пурра захира карда шудаанд, ин шояд ҳама охуи думи сафед бошад, ки ҷангалзорҳои Амрико метавонанд онҳоро дастгирӣ кунанд. Аммо кифоя аст. Талошҳои ҳифзи табиат дар замони гузашта бо тадқиқоти илмӣ, ҳифзи ҳуқуқ ва идоракунии муҳити зист иваз карда шуданд. Дар аксари иёлотҳо, қоидаҳои тағйирёбандаи шикор аҳолии оҳуҳоро бо маводи ғизоии худ мувозинат нигоҳ медоранд ва то ҳол ҳар сол зинда мондани саршумори аз ҳад зиёд мувофиқро таъмин мекунанд. Дар мавриди оянда, талаботи доимии иқтисоди Амрико ба маҳсулоти чӯбӣ ва ҳавзаҳои муҳофизатшаванда бояд нигоҳдории блокҳои калони ҷангалзорҳои ҷавонро таъмин намояд, ки оҳувон бояд рушд кунанд. Оҳуи сафедпӯст бояд солҳо тӯл кашад.


Ҷазираи Дир: Таърихи фоҷиаи инсонӣ ба ёд омад

In October, 1675 (Just five months after the start of the King Philip’s War, 1675-1676) some 500 Nipmucks from what is now South Natick were forcibly removed to Deer Island, a barren strip of land off Boston Harbor, as a concentration camp for Indians (later it would become a holding area for Irish immigrants fleeing the Great Famine (1800s), a major hospital (1847), a prison (c. 1882-1988), and now a wastewater treatment facility and national park), was established by the Massachusetts Council that same year. King Philip’s War, or Metacomet’s Revenge, as it came to be known, was the first large-scale military aggression in the American colonies and the bloodiest conflict between settlers and Indians in 17th century Puritan New England. Without adequate food, clothing, shelter or medicine, the pro-English Algonquian coverts, who had been converted to Christianity by the zealous Congregationalist minister from Roxbury named John Elliot, half of the Indians confined on the Island died of starvation or exposure during their imprisonment when John Eliot visited them in December, he could only report with horror, “The Island was bleak and cold, their wigwams poor and mean, their clothes few and thin.” These were the same Indians who once welcomed the English in 1621 with their Sachem, Massasoit.

In the years prior to King Philip’s War, Eliot worked with his devoted teacher (and servant of 35 years) Job Nesutan to learn the language. Later, Eliot worked with Nesutan and other Indians in translating the Holy Bible into the local Natick dialect of Massachusett or Massachusêuck (first published in 1663 at Harvard University) had taught hundreds of Indians to read and write and had established fourteen “praying towns,” Indian settlements built as Christian communities.

The first and largest was Natick, Massachusetts. Eliot took seriously his goal of conversion. He was convinced that only by being able to communicate with Native people in their own language could he achieve the goal of spreading Christianity prompting greater migrations of English to come to New England’s rocky shores as Indians were becoming more 𠇌ivilized” as a result.

However, from the very start of the war, the new English colonists became fearful of Eliot’s converts joining Philip’s reign of terror. Convinced of these fears, the Massachusetts Council ordered all Christian Indians to be barged down the Charles River in shackles and incarcerated on the island for the duration of the war. It was also known that slavers came to steal Indians off Deer Island to engage in the lucrative trade of human trafficking in Barbados or Jamaica.

But after enduring decades of fraudulent land deals, Massasoit’s son, Philip, determined to wage war to oust the colonists from New England and push them back over the sea from whence they came. He nearly succeeded. Beginning in June of 1675, not only Wampanoags, but Narragansetts, Nipmucks, and Pocumtucks rallied behind Philip to destroy the English.

To Puritan minister Increase Mather it seemed that the Indians had “risen almost round the country,” torching one town after the other. Before the final shots were fired over half of all the English settlements in New England𠅎verything west of Concord—had been laid waste. As Boston merchant Nathaniel Saltonstall explained in a letter to a friend in London, “Nothing could be expected but an utter desolation.” Philip’s Indians attacked and destroyed 25 frontier settlements: Andover, Bridgewater, Chelmsford, Cumberland, Groton, Lancaster, Longmeadow, Marlborough, Medfield, Medford, Millis, Plymouth, Portland, Providence, Rehoboth, Scituate, Seekonk, Simsbury, Springfield, Sudbury, Suffield, Warwick, Weymouth, and Wrentham, including what is modern-day Plainville.

The war ended with Metocomet’s death, August 12, 1676 with 600 colonists and 3,000 Native Americans dead, including several hundred native captives who were tried and executed others were enslaved and sold in Bermuda and elsewhere. The Deer Island prisoners were released, and over half of the Indians confined to the Island had died, others too sick to enjoy their liberty for long.

Almost 400 years have passed as we remember this tragic point in our collective history. The Deer Island Memorial Committee, headed by Executive Director Jim Peters, Massachusetts Commission on Indian Affairs, along with other committee members, had issued an RFP to create a memorial commemorating the Nipmuc Indians who died there. Lloyd Gray (Mohawk) has been contracted to create the memorial. It is anticipated that there will be a ceremony as part of the unveiling during the last weekend in October, 2013. It will be a time for reflection, commemoration and healing. In the language of Eliot’s Praying Indians, 𠇊yeuhteá࿊sh,” we stand firm (strong) and will continue to do so.


White-tailed Deer Timeline

1900 – Market/subsistence hunting and unregulated harvest eliminate nearly all deer from the state.

1917 –Total statewide deer population estimated at 500 animals. Legislature bans deer harvest.

1917 to 1922 – From western Oklahoma moving east, counties previously open to deer hunting are systematically closed to deer hunting.

1922 – All deer hunting in Oklahoma is prohibited.

1933 – First regulated deer season (five days) is held. Hunt is restricted to six southeast counties and Major County in western Oklahoma, resulting in the harvest of 235 bucks. Also, this year marks the beginning of safety regulations for wearing a red upper outer garment (later to become “hunter” orange).

1934 – No deer season authorized.

193537 Area is expanded to seven southeast counties only. Harvest total is 331 in 1935 375 in 1936 and 347 in 1937.

1938 – No deer season authorized.

1939-40 – Harvest totals: 384 in 1939 and 318 in 1940.

1941-43 – All deer hunting is closed. Many OGF personnel are called to active military service.

1943 – Deer restoration program started with the trap and transplant of 22 deer.

1944 – 379 deer harvested.

1945 – A total of 469 deer are harvested. Restoration efforts continue, with most deer trapped from either the Wichita Mountains NWR or Ft. Sill, but includes 50 captured from Aransas Pass NWR on the Texas Gulf Coast.

1946 – Participation in the deer gun season jumps to more than 7,000 (certainly due to returning World War II Vets looking for recreation). The first archery season (one day) is held. No deer harvested. A total of 35 deer are transplanted from the Wichita Mountains NWR to the U.S. Naval Ammunition Depot near McAlester (in less than a decade the military installation, now known as the McAlester Army Ammunition Plant, would serve as a source herd for trapping activities).

1946 – Oklahoma had its first archery season (1 day) on November 11, 1946, in seven southeast counties. No deer were harvested.

1949 – Special Archery season (five days) is designated only at Camp Gruber, resulting in the first buck taken by bow and arrow during a regulated season. The deer, taken by Roland Barber, is the state’s first archery buck and was a fallow deer. It was part of Camp Gruber’s small herd that had been established in the area during the late 1930s.

Photo (left): Roland Barber harvests the first deer taken with a bow and arrow in Oklahoma. The 120-pound fallow buck was harvested November 2, 1949, at Camp Gruber.

1951 – First whitetail deer taken by bow and arrow during a regulated season since the days that Native Americans hunted deer for subsistence is harvested by Larry Embry, Jr.,13. The deer was harvested at Camp Gruber.

Photo: Larry Embry Jr harvested the first whitetail at Camp Gruber on November 11, 1951, with a bow.

The Daily Oklahoma November 13, 1951, has the full story.

1954 – First statewide gun deer season (5 days) results in a harvest of 1,487 bucks.

1969 – First primitive firearms season (three days) is held, resulting in two deer harvested. Hunt is restricted to part of LeFlore County.

1970 – Statewide 16-day deer gun season. The total harvest of 6,882 bucks.

1972 –Nine-day deer gun season with all open counties and special two-day antlerless season. Total harvest 7,670 deer.

1975 – Cy Curtis Awards Program initiated by the Department to recognize trophy deer (harvested during the 1972 season and thereafter). For eligibility, whitetail deer must have a minimum typical score of 135 or a non-typical minimum of 150 using the Boone & Crockett scoring system. In the first year, only seven deer are entered. The program is named in honor of the man most responsible for the restoration of whitetail deer in Oklahoma.

1976 – Department begins broadscale antlerless harvest in 19 counties by issuing antlerless permits by special drawing. Total harvest 11,548 – 26 percent does.

1982 – Antlerless permit system deemed unpopular due to perceived inequities, and replaced by antlerless days available to all hunters. Total harvest 19, 255 – 23 percent does.

1986 –The Department ceases any further trap and transplant efforts with sufficient populations of deer available to repopulate all suitable habitats statewide.

1990 – Statewide deer population estimated at 250,000 deer. Total harvest 44,070 deer – 24 percent does.

1992 – Total harvest tops 50,000. Much to the surprise of many, a new state record buck is taken by an archer in Oklahoma County (Chris Foutz took the buck, which measured 179 6/8 typical score), proving that quality deer can come from just about anywhere in Oklahoma even the state’s most urbanized county.

Photo (left): Chris Foutz with 179 6/8 scored deer harvested with a bow in Oklahoma County on December 23, 1992.

1999 – Statewide deer population estimated at 425,000 deer. Total harvest yields 82,500 deer – 36 percent does.

2000 – Deer population levels spawn a multitude of stakeholder desires and management possibilities. For the first time, deer harvest numbers top 100,000.

2001 - First Special Antlerless season is held in December and expanded deer archery season in January.

2003 - First statewide youth antlerless deer gun season is held in October and yields 2,285 deer.

2004 - Statewide deer population estimated at 475,000 deer. Bowhunters set a new harvest record with 14,639 deer taken. Statewide harvest is 94,689 - 40% does.

2005 - Statewide harvest is 101,111 including 40% does. The number of counties that recorded more than 1,000 deer harvested increased to 43.

2006- Hunting regulations remain unchanged from 2005.

2007 – Not one, but two tremendous whitetail bucks are harvested from Pushmataha County during the deer gun season one by John Ehmer that scored an impressive 194 typical, and one by Jason Boyett that scored 192 5/8 typical. Boyett takes his buck on Nov. 18, surpassing the previous state record that had held the top spot for an entire decade (see Larry Luman photo below). Then just 10 days later, on Nov. 28, Ehmer takes his outstanding buck from the same county. By now, a total of 4,500 deer (including 19 mule deer entries) have been entered into the Cy Curtis Program.


2013- Physical deer check stations are replaced with an electronic check-in system, called E-Check. The Wildlife Department initiates the "Hunters in the Know Let Young Bucks Grow" campaign.

2014- Hunters are able to submit photos of their deer jaws, and have their deer aged by Wildlife Department biologists.

2015- marked the participation record for archery hunters for the third year in a row.


Facebook

Anyone who has stood on or driven along Ocean Springs' Beach or East Biloxi's Highway 90 has glanced or looked at Deer Island. They may have even wondered about this deserted island and its past history. The western and eastern tips are wind swept sand where mainly sea oats, grasses, and various small plants grow. The eastern and southeastern areas are mostly salt-water marshes with stands of pine trees sprinkled throughout. There are several bayous or inlets, some being large enough for a skiff to enter. The western and northern areas are covered with stands of pine trees and some oak trees. Through the years hurricanes have taken their toll by eroding portions of the southern shores and in 1985 Elena cut out a section of the western end.

Deer Island was occupied and used as hunting ground as early as 8,000 B.C. Artifacts from the four major periods of Native American history have been found on Deer Island. Those periods are Paleo Indian, Archaic, Woodland, and Mississippian Periods. During the Mississippian Period 1,000 A.D. to 1700 A.D. Native American artifacts indicate some early and late occupation but the largest occupation occurs from about 1200 A.D. to 1550 A.D. This corresponds with two Mississippian sites on the Biloxi peninsula. One site was on the east end of the southern shore and the other on the northern shore of the peninsula. The only thing that remains today is the artifacts and shell midden. Shell middens are areas where Native Americans discarded their refuse and other items. Some portions of the Native American sites on Deer Island are underwater due to eroding shorelines. Unfortunately those that are not underwater, pothunters and others have ravished for years. Pothunters are individuals looking for whole clay vessels. They dig the site up looking for these vessels but during the process they destroy the site and artifacts. They never record or report what they find because they know what they are doing is wrong and against the law.

The 1699 arrival of the French ushered in a new period along the Mississippi Gulf Coast and Deer Island. The French explored the whole Gulf Coast but it was not until 1717 that any indication of Deer Island being occupied. The Commissary M. Hubert petitions the French Ministry of the Colonies to grant him the concession, land grant, of Deer Island to raise rabbits. Later he withdraws his petition after learning that another inhabitant already has the Deer Island concession. Unfortunately he does not name the person who has the Deer Island concession. On November 2, 1738 M. Louboey, Governor of Louisiana, writes about Deer Island in a letter to M. Maurepas, Minister of the Colonies. He indicates that the small nation know as the Capinans have abandoned its village on the Pascagoula River and retired to Deer Island. The Capinans were a small tribe connected with the Biloxi and Pascagoula tribes. Their villages were located on the Pascagoula River when the French first arrived.

Records dated 1746 indicated that a cattle ranch is being operated on Deer Island by a settler who owns and operates a shallop (ship) of sixty tons. During the 1790s a Pierre La Fontaine, a ship owner from Deer Island has been paying tolls to enter St. John Bayou in Louisiana. It would appear that Pierre and the early settler may be one and the same.

On the twenty first of April 1798 fourteen persons on Deer Island were confirmed by the Bishop Francisco Penalver y Cardenas of the Diocese of New Orleans. Among the confirmed was 100-year-old Louis Christian Ladner as well as other Ladners, Cueves, Carquottes and other early gulf coast settlers. Between 1840 and 1850 Father Gerin, a Catholic priest from Biloxi, would visit Deer Island about once a month.

The Harrison County 1850 census lists 11 people living on Deer Island. These 11 consist of three families and one single person. Albertus King Aken 30 was listed as a farmer and being from New Jersey his wife Jane 26, Bay St. Louis their son Joseph 9, and Mr. Aken's sister Laura Aken 19. Mr. Aken at one time was lighthouse keeper at Cat Island. About 1865, Mr. Aken began harvesting the sap from the pine trees and set up a still from the manufacturing of turpentine. In 1917 L. Lopez Company, per an agreement with Mr. Aken, set the first shells for an oyster reef in the waters off Deer Island.

Joseph Field Aken, who grew up on Deer Island, would marry Harriet Waters of Horn Island during the Civil War. Harriet was born on September 18, 1839 in Pascagoula and raised on Horn Island where she first married Peter Baker on December 28, 1852 at the age of thirteen. Peter and Harriet struggled to make a living on Horn Island. Confederate and Union soldiers took cattle from the family. Final Harriet and her children left Peter who she later divorced. Harriet, in later years would be known as Grandma Aken along the Gulf Coast. On Deer Island she helped Joseph run the turpentine business and the oyster reefs. They lived by hunting, crabbing, fishing, oystering, as well as what could be raised on the island. Joseph died July 13, 1913, leaving Harriet to carry on and raise 17 children. Grandma Aken would also raise and give a home to 25 boys and a girl Rhoda Louise Williams. She continued to hunt and harvest oysters late in life. Even when she became almost blind she would not let that slow her down. She would set on her porch and knit fishing nets for the family.

In her young days it was said that she could handle a gun as well as any man.
She was considered an excellent hunter, swimmer, and she had walked every inch of Deer Island. During her active years she would row a skiff from the island to various locations on the main land.

Grandma Aken had reached her hundredth birthday in 1939. Friends and family journeyed to Deer Island with gifts and cakes for the happy occasion. Though she had been ill Grandma Aken sat in her large armchair and in her natural agreeable manner received her guests. Boats were secured for the occasion and guests were ferried to and from Deer Island. Rev. E.A. Demiller, rector of the Church of the Redeemer, conducted religious services on the island. In addition to Mrs. Aken’s birthday, her great granddaughter who was born the same day, Mary Jane Hall’s birthday was also celebrated.

Six months later Grandma Aken would die on Deer Island. The seawall was crowded with friends as her coffin was carried on the Sea Queen from Deer Island to Oak Street pier. She was interred at the Old Biloxi Cemetery, thus closing another chapter on Deer Island.

Grandma Aken was one of the most beloved and enduring individuals on Deer Island. Yet, one of the most interesting characters was The Hermit of Deer Island. Jean Guilhot, a Frenchman, who had operated a citrus grove in the Bahamas and a turtle soup cannery in Florida. He arrived in Biloxi in 1921at 46 years of age and began working as a barber. He met and married a widow, Pauline Lemiene, who with her son Elmer had a house on Deer Island. Elmer would later marry Rhoda Louise William, the adopted daughter of Grandma Aken, and have two children Elmer and Elaine who were born on Deer Island. On Deer Island he gave up being a barber and became an oyster fisherman. A few years later his wife died, but Guilhot continued to live on Deer Island and make his living by tonging oysters. During the 1947 Hurricane Guihot climbed a tree and weathered the wind and water. The storm flooded the island and destroyed his home but he built a new shack from driftwood. By this time his skin was like leather from the sun and saltwater. He lived on a diet of cheese, fruit, and various seafood but refused to eat meat.

In early 1950, Louis Gorenflo, captain of the tour boat Sailfish offered to pickup and deliver groceries to Guilhot. On a small pine sapling 75 feet from shore, Guilhot would place his grocery list and Gorenflo would retrieve the list and on the next visit return the groceries. At first Guilhot would only retrieve the groceries after the Sailfish departed. Gradually, he began to row out and meet the Sailfish. Later he would sing songs in French and English for the tourists. The tourists would take his picture and throw coins in to Guilhot's boat. On May 27, 1959, Guilhot died in his sleep at the age of 82. One account of his passing implies that it occurred on Deer Island. His family attests that he died at the residence of his stepson Elmer Lemien on Tucker Road in the St Martin community. According to the Bradford O’Keefe funeral records Jean Guilhot died at Latimer Route 2 Jackson County. Jean Guilhot’s death closed another chapter of history on Deer Island. The Hermit of Deer Island lives now only in the memories of those who knew and saw him.

One of the most interesting and short-lived developments on Deer Island occurred in June of 1915. The Deer Island Improvement Company purchased property from Grandma Aken and opened an amusement park. The park was equipped with dance pavilion 60 x 100 feet and featured a huge bath house with a roof complete with a garden and refreshments, fishing, row boat rentals, carnival rides, penny arcade, and daily concerts. Visitors were transported by a ferry system to and from Deer Island by way of the Lameuse Street pier. The company also sold property for cottages and camps, which in no time began to appear. The venture was a huge success but that fall the 1915 Hurricane hit the coast and wiped out the amusement park, several cottages, and summer camps. The investors never recovered and in 1917 the property was returned to Grandma Aken and her heirs.

After Grandma Aken’s death many of her decedents continued to live on Deer Island. From her first marriage to Peter Baker, a native of Arandahl, Norway, their children Frank Ben, Joseph, and Hannah Olena grew up on Deer Island. Baker Family history indicates that Peter Baker’s last name was originally Olsen but he changed it to Baker. From Grandma Aken’s marriage to Joseph Aken their 5 daughters Ella 1871, Nora 1873, Margaret 1875, Cora 1879, and Julia 1881were born and grew up on Deer Island.

Joseph Baker would marry Madeline Gelineo and move to Biloxi. He would be a carpenter by trade. Their children were George and Edward who lived in Biloxi and Marion who lived in New Orleans, Mrs. Henry Lechner and Mrs. Holly Ford of Biloxi. Joseph died on July 16, 1956 in Biloxi.

Frank Ben Baker was born on Deer Island July 6, 1869 and married Dorothy Ryan. Frank and Dorothy would live with their children on Deer Island. Their sons Ralph and Arthur would continue to live on Deer Island. Their daughters Vera would marry Fred Lusk and Dorothy would marry Elbert Meaut and move to Biloxi. Frank died on December 3, 1947 on Deer Island.

Hannah Olena Baker married James Wentzell and they had two children, J.W. Wentzell and Charles Wentzell. Ella Aken would marry William Thompson on June 29, 1892 and have one child named Ada and would make their home on Deer Island. Nora married Charles McCaleb on September 24, 1890 and lived in Biloxi. Margaret married Harry Edwards on March 1, 1893 and moved to New Orleans. Cora Aken would marry on November 12, 1893 in Biloxi to Thomas Kneale from New Orleans. They had seven children before she divorced Thomas. She never remarried but ran Kneale Grocery at 414 Nixon. She died February 6, 1943 in Biloxi. Julia Aken would marry Armond Rousseau and live in Biloxi.

One individual who purchased property from the Deer Island Improvement Company was Joseph Fortune Meyer. Some readers will recognize Joseph Meyer’s name from the art world. Joseph Meyer was born in France the son of Francois Antoine Meyer and Jeanne Francoise Bebin. The family moved to America and took up residence in Biloxi before the Civil War. Francois Meyer was a potter whose business and home was on Biloxi’s Back Bay. Francois would teach his son Joseph the pottery trade. Joseph Meyer would become friends with another Biloxian by the name of George E. Ohr. After the Civil War, the Meyer family relocated to New Orleans where Joseph operated a pottery. It would be in New Orleans that young George Ohr would be taught by Joseph Meyer the pottery trade. Both Joseph Meyer and George Ohr were hired by Newcomb College to instruct pottery classes at the Newcomb Art School. Today both men’s works of pottery are considered extraordinary art ware.

After Joseph purchased the Deer Island property he continued to live in New Orleans. His Deer Island home became a resort to escape the city life and enjoy the quietness. In a letter dated May 20, 1920 written to his daughter Norma, Joseph describes a visit to Deer Island. On May 16, Joseph indicates that his wife, Charles Wolfarth from Biloxi, and himself went to Deer Island. They found the weather cloudy and very windy. Joseph had written to Frank Ben Baker to meet them at Oak Street but upon arrival Mr. Baker had not shown up. Joseph thought the rough weather may have been the reason so attempts were made to signal to Mr. Baker from Riley’s wharf and then from Johnson’s Fish and Oyster wharf, but to no avail. Mr. Raley proposed to bring them over. Joseph indicated that the crossing was very rough. Upon their arrival they were greeted by Frank’s wife Dorothy Baker. She indicated that Frank Baker had gone across with son Arthur to secure Mr. Hewes’ boat that had broken loose and was a drift. After their visit the return to Biloxi was also affected by a terrific squall. They tried to signal someone to come and get them but it was too misty. During a lull Joseph convinced Mr. Sidney Reynolds to take advantage of the lull to return them to the mainland. Due to the squall some schooners had taken shelter between Deer Island and the mainland. When they reach a point about 300 feet off the anchored schooners the wind began to blow again from the east and just as they touched the wharf the rain fell in sheets. Joseph indicated that before to long they were perfectly drenched.

In another letter Joseph describe the serenity of the Island. Until his death on March 16, 1931 Joseph continued to visit Deer Island on regular bases. The Baker family would refer to Joseph Meyer very affectionately as Uncle Joe. Like Grandma Aken and The Hermit of Deer Island Joseph Meyer would also leave his mark of society.

Frank Ben and Dorothy Baker’s descendants continued to live on Deer Island. One son Ralph eventually moved from Deer Island to Biloxi. Of their two daughters, Vera married Fred Lusk and Dorothy married Elbert Meaut, and both moved to Biloxi. Their son Arthur would continue to live on Deer Island. While Arthur was a young man, Joseph “Uncle Joe” Meyer had introduce him to his future wife, Eva Walther of New Orleans. Arthur and Eva married and had six children: Arthur, Frank, Donald, Alvin, Ronald, and Fred. They raised their six boys on Deer Island. When their son Ronald married Velma Demet, they made their home on Deer Island. Three of Ronald and Velma’s six children David, Larry, and Cynthia, would begin their lives on Deer Island.

The Aken and Baker families had lived on Deer Island for six generations. What one has to realize is that Deer Island was continually occupied from the 1700s to 1969. During the 1800s to early 1900s, life on Deer Island would be view as a typical way of life for the times. Yet with the advent of electrical power to homes all along our coast, there began a change and a new way of life. On Deer Island life continued the same as before electric with the exception of a 32 volt system of lights generated by storage batteries. Of course, one would turn the light on, take care of business, and then turn the light off. By the mid 1950s, the Baker family added a gasoline generator to power the lights and other appliances. Free flowing artesian water was fed from the well to a gravity tank to furnish the family’s water needs. Weekly, the Family would secure grocery items from Esse Gonsoulin’s Grocery & Market located at 1101 East Beach. One of the interesting facts about the Baker family was that the children attended the Biloxi Public Schools by taking a boat to Oak Street in Biloxi in the morning and back in the afternoon.

The Baker family lived on Deer Island until the events of August 1969. Hurricane Camille had entered the Gulf of Mexico and was threatening Mississippi and Louisiana. On Sunday morning August 17, Arthur and Eva Baker gathered their family and left their home unaware that it would be the last time. That evening Camille came ashore as a category 5 storm causing unbelievable destruction. After Camille the Baker family would live on two boats tied to the Baker Pier on Deer Island for 3 months. The two boats were the Doris Mae and the Progress. The family finally left Deer Island the first week of November and moved to Biloxi. This ended a long line of Bakers, and Aken family members who had lived their lives on Deer Island. Even though the Baker family still owns three sections of Deer Island, no one has officially lived on Deer Island since 1969. Yet to the Baker and Aken family decedents Deer Island has remained a place for family socials and their play ground.

We have discussed Deer Island early Native American history, its colonial
history and some of its most enduring individuals. We have yet to touch on
the legends and tales that embraced Deer Island, our coast, and our culture.
There has been numerous tales of pirates and of gold being buried on the
barrier islands. One of the most interesting stories appeared in the Biloxi
Herald on April 1, 1902. It seems that an elderly Biloxian, who was not
identified by the paper, told this story to the editor. In 1859 an elderly
gentlemen by the name of Senor Cardenas was a passenger on the steamboat
Creole that was headed to Biloxi. When he became ill Captain Charles
Walker asked the Biloxian to care for Senor Cardenas. The Biloxian stayed in
the cabin with Senor Cardenas and cared for him but Senor Cardenas died
during passage. Per Senor Cardenas request, Captain Walker handed the
Biloxian a sealed letter and a note. In the note Senor Cardenas asked the
Biloxian to have his remains shipped to New Orleans and to keep the sealed
letter until someone called for it.

On February 17, 1902 (some 43 years later) Senor Cardenas son appeared at the Biloxian's door. After receiving and reading the letter Don Cardenas asked the Biloxian if a tree grew in Biloxi with a ring created by nature in its limbs. The Biloxian says yes and took him to location of the oak refereed to as the Ring in the Oak. Don Cardenas climbed the tree and took his bearings off the ring to a location on Deer Island. The Biloxian and Don Cardenas rowed over to Deer Island and using the instructions in the letter dug up a metal box and two old swords. According to the story the box contained gold coins of Spanish origin. The Biloxian received a handsome reward and Don Cardenas returned to New Orleans. The article indicated if you don't believe the story go to J. B. Lemon's drug store in Biloxi and look at the sword and old coins he had placed there. One interesting note is that the Cardenas mentioned here spell their names the same as Bishop Cardenas who confirmed the families on Deer Island in 1798.

The stories of ghost, pirates, civil war, storms, and other legends have haunted Deer Island for centuries. Several proposed developments have occurred from the 1950s to the present, but Deer Island has weathered all of them. Just like the aftermath of a hurricane, Deer Island is a little battered but it seems to restores itself in time. It may be that Grandma Aken and The Hermit of Deer Island taught us a lesson that must be read from in-between-the-lines. That is, it may be better to conform to Deer Island and the life it offers instead of trying to conform Deer Island to us. The State of Mississippi recently purchased a large section of Deer Island with exception to the western sections owned by Baker family descendents. Only time will tell what will become of Deer Island, thus closing another chapter in Mississippi Coast History.

The Biloxi Herald, April 1, 1902
The Biloxi Herald, February 22, 1896 page 8 columns 1, Peter Baker
The Biloxi Herald, Saturday July 12, 1913, Joseph Aken, Old Biloxian Dead
The Biloxi Herald, September 18, 1939, Grandma Aken turn 100 years, page 9
Times Picayune, March 22, 1940 Harriet Aken 100 dies, page 1
The Biloxi Herald, March 24, 1940, Deer Island Resident Today Celebrates Century of Life Grandma Aken death
The Daily Herald, January 4, 1928, Page 10, Column 4, Joseph Meyer Lived in Biloxi
A History of Mississippi, edited by Richard Aubrey McLemore, Volume One
Mississippi Provincial Archives French Domination by Rowland, Sanders, and Galloway
Joseph Meyers Letters, Ohr/O’Keefe Museum of Art collection.
Stevens Collection located in the Historical & Genealogical Section of the Biloxi Library
Oral Baker Family History from conversations with Alvin Baker, Arthur Baker, and Cynthia Baker Powell.
Lemein Family History conversation with Mrs. Elaine Lemein Rolls
Aken Family History from emails with Elaine Kneale Knafla.


Шумо медонед, ки?

  • In 2019, 164,939 youth participated in the Seedlings for Schools program, an increase of 4,663 children.
  • 67 schools across the Commonwealth benefitted from a new Pollinator Garden program that teaches youth about pollinating insects and the value of creating a habitat for them.
  • The PA Game Commission’s Howard Nursery administers the Seedlings for School program and Wildlife for Everyone helps subsidize this free program for students.

© 2006 - 2021 Wildlife for Everyone All rights reserved.
Wildlife for Everyone, 341 Science Park Rd., Suite 103, State College, PA 16803-2287
(814) 238-8138 [email protected]

Design Copyright 2006 - 2021 Blue Banana Designs
Web site designed, developed, and hosted by
Blue Banana Designs - Web Site Design, Web Site Hosting, E-commerce


How did the white deer herd at the former Seneca Army Depot get started and why has it lasted?

The white deer at the former Seneca Army Depot in Romulus have been protected since the late 1940s by the fence that has surrounded the depot. They now number about 200.

(Stephen D. Cannerelli [email protected])

Romulus, N.Y. -- How did white, white-tailed deer at the former Seneca Army Depot get there and why has the herd lasted so long?

The depot, which was hurriedly built back in 1941 as World War II loomed, was fenced in for security reasons. And within that 24 miles of fenced in land were several dozen, regular brown-colored white-tailed deer and numerous other wildlife.

The history of the white deer herd at the depot, the world's largest, traces its roots back to 1949, when the depot's commander, Col. Franklin Kemble, was first alerted of their presence and gave orders not to shoot them.

Kemble told his men, "'If any of you guys shoot them, you're on the next plane to Greenland," said Dennis Money, president of Seneca White Deer and a retired project environmental analyst who worked at Rochester Gas and Electric.

The white deer were not albinos, which have pink eyes. These deer simply carried a recessive gene for white hair. They had brown or gray eyes.

The white ones lived and interbred with the brown deer. The combined, protected herd continued to grow and by the mid-1950s numbered more than 2,000. Two tough winters, though, resulted in a number of them starving.

The military teamed up with the state Department of Environmental Conservation and devised a plan to keep the herd healthy and genetically solid, Money said. They started offering nearly two weeks of hunting each fall, attended by past and current military personnel, along with (now former) civilian employees at the depot. The depot staff also planted food plots and mowed the grass in certain sections to encourage the growth of plants that the deer savor.

At first only brown deer could be shot, but in time the white deer were numerous enough to be included. Currently, the numbers of hunters are restricted to about a little more than three dozen a day and they have to participate in a lottery to see who gets to shoot white ones, said Stephen Absolom, the depot's environmental coordinator and installation manager in a 2010 interview.


When I was a boy I learned about a tribe of natives (Lipan Apache) that had an initiation into manhood which involved plucking a hair from the tail of a live deer. These people had developed a mode of stealth that allowed them to walk right up to deer–head on–without the deer sensing their presence or noticing their advance. I adopted the technique for moving through the woods silently, but never to the point where I could stealthily touch a deer.

I'll skip the masking your scent and disguising your appearance parts and just give you the silent walking part.

First of all, you must have good balance, so take a semi-squat stance to lower you body weight. With each step, you will balance on one foot, while you test the ground ahead of you with the smallest toe of your other foot. You want to plant your foot where it isn't going to make any noise, first touch the ground with your small toe, using it to part the grass or move leaves, then gently rock onto your lateral arch down to your heel as you shift your weight onto your forward foot and flatten it out onto the ground, the last part of your foot to touch the ground is your big toe. Complete the step by transferring all your weight to your forward foot, then feel ahead with the other.

The deer touchers did this very slow, averaging about 80 seconds per step, in a breeze they could rock with the grass and branches and go about 60 seconds a step. The super slow speeds were so the deer wouldn't register them moving, even if they were staring straight in their direction.

When nothing's watching you you can move quickly through the woods stepping this way, just touch with your small toe first and ease into each step, when you get good you tend to glide more than you stride. The part to practice is making contact with the ground without making a crunch, it's easy to do on a path, but harder to do when moving through the bush.

As far as what clothes and shoes to wear: the deer touchers went barefoot and wore nothing but a loincloth and ash from a fire, but any soft soled shoe will work for foot wear, toeshoes would be the best. For clothing you don't want to wear anything synthetic, nylon and polyester make that whishing sound when you walk. Soft cotton or wool is best for moving silently, think ninja knickers, light and breathable.


Видеоро тамошо кунед: Paranoic, Glaceo - Timido Stereo Hearts Remix